Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help getting this kind of result on knotty alder cabinets

Posted by avesmor (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 0:52

We are having knotty alder cabinets installed and finished onsite. They will be paired with white oak flooring, also finished onsite. I know it may take some creativity to get white oak to compliment a finish on alder, but we'll have the whole floor to play with. :)

I'm after a warm color, light enough that I can enjoy the alder wood underneath. I really like the finish pictured below. It's from the Schrock website, rustic alder wood with "Cider" finish. Unfortunately I have no idea what commercially available coloring would approximate their "Cider" and they do not sell just their stain.

The closest I've been able to get is with Minwax Early American, but it seems a bit too orangey. The guy at SW (our builder's main supplier for stain) suggested mixing just a drop or two of Jacobean in, around a 1:7 ratio, so I picked up a can of that tonight but haven't yet had time to play with it. Tomorrow... Wea lso played with some BAC colors while there, but they all went on kind of opaque and I definitely want a transparent finish, not semi opaque.

In the meantime, I was hoping someone here might be familiar enough with knotty alder and/or the way it stains to suggest something I or my builder can get ahold of, which might give comparable results to the door pictured above.

Thanks in advance for any insights or suggestions...!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help getting this kind of result on knotty alder cabinets

The picture looks pretty close to natural Alder color. Have you tried just using clear topcoats? I used to make lots of stuff from Alder, back when I worked for a southwestern-stlye cabinetmaker. We used primarily Minwax Natural or Provincial to color the Alder. I think a mix of about 3 parts natural to 1 part provincial may get the desired color. But make sure you top coat the sample. The stained wood will look very different once it's top coated. The topcoat will intensify the color, or may make it more amber. Each product will have a slightly different effect, so you should decide on the topcoat before you continue to experiment with stain colors. Make sure you let the stain dry completely before topcoating.

If the colors aren't going on evenly, if the wood gets blotchy patches of light and dark, the stain is not being absorbed evenly. This can be corrected by using a thinned coat of shellac, 1# cut, as a wood conditioner prior to staining.

o

If you want the most transparent color finish use aniline dye.

Make up sample pieces using scraps of wood and take them all the way to the final finish before judging color, and then judge it int he location it will be used.

Just about every coat alters the appearance and color of the finished article.

The water based polyurethanes have the least coloring affect.

o

Try 50/50 @ early american and puritan pine.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here