Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackchamois

Painted cabinetry

blackchamois
11 years ago

I am trying to select a white paint for my custom kitchen cabinets. I feel that the standard "white" offered by my cabinet guy is a bit too stark.

I am trying to decide upon a softer white, however, regardless of the color I choose, my cabinet guy says it will change color when he adds the laquer to it.

1) Is there always laquer applied? Either mixed in, or as a top coat?

2) How do I account for this color change in order to achieve my desired color in the end result?

Any advice or insight is appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (7)

• User
    11 years ago

Using lacquer on kitchen cabinets has always been a mystery to me, except for how easy it is to apply and how fast it dries.

Pre-cat lacquer is more resistant to water damage than regular lacquers or non-cat.

Water based varnish will not add any tint, protects very well, and some brands can be recoated in as short a time as 2 hours(Sherwin Williams is one of those)

A much better long term finish(although much more difficult to apply is alkyd enamel. Two coats of that and water will never degrade the surface.

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

Well, that explains it:
    Using lacquer on kitchen cabinets has always been a mystery to me, except for how easy it is to apply and how fast it dries.
    ---
    Brushing on an oil-based paint and putting it in a clean area for several hours is just way too slow and labor intensive for a production shop.

Most kitchens now have pre-cat lacquer. What you want to look for is a finish that is KCMA certified, q.v.

Most of the "white" kitchens I see have a base coat of white lacquer, a glaze, and a top sealer coat of clear lacquer. The top sealer can be "water white," i.e., colorless, not amber. However, be aware that damage to a glazed finish is difficult to repair in a spot.

Q: 2) How do I account for this color change in order to achieve my desired color in the end result?
    A: The only way to tell is to have your finish guy / cabinet maker show you samples of the finish schedule(s), start to finish.

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

Would a Waterlox application for last coat of protection change the color of white cabinets? Would it cause an Amber film?

I want to top coat cabinet doors painted white.

• User
    11 years ago

If it is oil based, it will amber.

Almost all oil based finishes add an amber tine/tint.

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

Thank you for the reply handymac, so I will have to go clear lacquer, this should keep white.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all. I will review this information with my cabinet guy.

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

I went out today, bought stain, not water based and Lacquer. I am happy with the Rustolium Sunbleached gray stain color. I bring it to my daughter's tomorrow to see if she likes the driftwood looking light gray it came out. She liked the photo I sent her but she needs to see it IRL. I will have to find a way to post pictures on here.

I am glad I found this board, what you wrote here saved me some extra work!