Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gloss poly on top of semi-gloss?

Posted by plaidthumb (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 23:16

Replaced some hollow-core luan interior doors. Matched the stain no problem. The poly is giving me fits. I thought it was at best a semi-gloss, so that's what I put on. Once it dried, it became pretty obvious it should have been a gloss finish instead.

So... can I just use some 220, lightly sand then go over the semi-gloss with gloss and get the sheen to match the surrounding trim? Or do I need to sand all the way down to the stain and start the poly from scratch?

Or is the difference so slight nobody but us would notice? We want to sell this place in a couple of years, and the work I'm doing is towards that thought.

Can anyone help head me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gloss poly on top of semi-gloss?

Yes, you can recoat with gloss poly. No need to strip the semigloss.

o

Awesome! Thanks for the reply.

o

Gloss is determined by the top level of finish. If you have a lot of layers of low-gloss followed by a gloss, you might get a strange look (shiny from straight on and flatter from an angle), but for a couple of coats you should be fine.

I regularly put on full gloss for all but the last coat or two (the opposite direction of what you have).

o

If you only applied one coat, that may be the problem. The first coat of any wood finish mostly gets absorbed into the pores. 3 topcoats, sanded between coats, is standard.

You don't notice the sheen until the second coat has dried.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here