Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hogan_nj

Help...I used too much stain

hogan_nj
11 years ago

I am building a cedar arbor. I put 2 coats of Cabot oil based exterior stain on the main,most visible part of the arbor. The first coat just looked to faint,but when I applied a second,it became too dark and very glossy.

Is there anything I could do short of sanding down to bare wood?

Thanks for any advice

Comments (4)

• CaptRandy
    11 years ago

Not now, you need to strip off the whole coatings. The second coat was applied when the first was too dry to allow the second to penetrate. Strip with sodium hydroxide and neutralize with oxalic acid. Not a fan of Cabots. I use Ready Seal on all the decks I do. Right now I have a deck 1200 sq ft that has to be stripped and neutralized then sealed. The customer allowed her gardener to do her deck and now she is paying for it. Like allowing your dentist to give you a vasectomy.

• hogan_nj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol.thats funny.let me ask u this. Will it fade over time? If so,would it take years?

• sloyder
    11 years ago

I wonder if you could try using a scotch brite type sanding pad to knock down the shine, and possibly lighten the color.

• CaptRandy
    11 years ago

No it will not disappear over time. You might get a bit of the sheen off by rubbing with mineral spirits. But the darer color will not come off without full removal.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz