Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our doors are shellaced together- help!

Posted by fausonk (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 22:50

We bought really nice fir doors, and my husband experimented with dye-shellac mixes to get the right color for them. He bought a high-quality spray gun to get a nice even finish without brush strokes. He sprayed one side of the doors and they looked fabulous. He let them dry for a while in the back yard, then because of a threat of rain, he put them in the garage. The problem???

He stacked them with one leaning on the other. Apparently the shellac was not dry enough, and he went out there tonight and the doors are solidly stuck together.

Is there anything we can do to separate them? We don't care about sanding and refinishing them- no problem to do that. We just don't want to lose the cost of these expensive doors!

Any info on how "sticky" shellac is? Can they be pried apart and still be left in tact? Or is shellac like a wood glue and they will never ever come apart again?

K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our doors are shellaced together- help!

Shellac is always resoluble in its solvent, alcohol. If you can get some in there put in denatured alcohol, let it sit for a couple of minutes and they should come apart.

FWIW, shellac is used to hold key pads on woodwind instruments. For one reason, it's reversible like this.

Take heart, it could have been latex paint and that REALLY sticks to itself.

o
RE: Our doors are shellaced together- help!

Shellac is also used for gasket adhesive in auto engine work. It's very sticky. You may risk peeling off some wood in the process. I would strike the doors along their edges to shear them apart rather than pry them directly apart. One swift decisive heavy blow should do it. I'm thinking a 3 lb. hammer.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here