Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help in select French Doors for Patio

Posted by salasadi (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 22:19

Hello Guys,
I am new member but OLD reader :)
I have cheapy slides doors in my porch area. I would like to replace it with better quality french door. I got quote from Pella Architect for 2 fix doors and 2 out siwng doors, double glas with argon gas, mutipoint locks. the quote was about $9k (without installation). I shopped around and found a local suppliers that highly recommand a fiberglass over wood/clad and gave me a company (Neuma Doors) and he said they are far better than Pella in quality doors and ca resist Florida weather. the price about $4k less (installed).
I appreciate any opinion regarding this company and its quality doors.
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help in select French Doors for Patio

You might post this in the window forum as there are more people there who can offer advice on this topic (myself included). However you need to help us to help you which means provide a little more detail other than just Pella, what your looking to accomplish with these doors? What material you would like to use, ie how the finished product will look? Do you want wood interior, aluminum clad or fiberglass exterior? Vinyl?

o
RE: Help in select French Doors for Patio

DH and I installed to Pella french outswing doors several years ago. They also have blinds between the glass. They are clad on the outside but we opted for unfinished on the inside so we could more closely match our existing stain. Installation by professional installers was a nightmare. We couldn't lock the doors at all. The worst of our issues was Pella's non customer service. It took probably eight months or more for them to finally resolve all issues. It was so frustrating and also unsafe to not be able to lock our doors.
Our house is extremely square so that wasn't the problem. We are pleased though with the appearance and now that they lock we like them.

We want to do a triple door on the front of our home with one stationary door and two out swing doors but hubby said there is no way we will do Pella again not even if they were free. I will be looking for a different door manufacturer as soon as my kitchen/dining/living room project is finished.

Good luck with your quest for the perfect door for you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here