Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attaching flower box to a brick wall

Posted by colorado_av_guy (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 21:44

Not sure if I am in the right forum, but here goes....

I made a Cedar flower box. It is 4'9" long, and 9" wide. I need to attach it to a brick wall. I have never attached anything to a brick wall and I need any advice I can get about how to do this. The box will have three to four brackets, which the box will sit on.

Thanks for assisting me in this endeavor!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attaching flower box to a brick wall

seems to me you need to buy some concrete anchors which are threaded. My parents porch railing is secured to the brick porch in this fashion.

o

You have a number of options, all which involve and drill and masonry bit. As the other poster mentioned, there are screws designed specially to drive into brick and concrete. The most common brand name is "Tapcon" and you can find them in just about any good home center or hardware store. You drill a pilot home and then drive the screw. The manufacturer sells drills bits just for this purpose but if you already have the correct size bit, you can use that. I've used them on any number of occasions and they work quite well.

Another option is just a plastic anchor. Basically you drill the appropriate sized hole and put the anchor in the hole. Then drive your screw into the anchor. In that case, I'd suggest using a stainless steel screw to prevent rust.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tapcon Website

o

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I'll most likely use the Tapcon product. My biggest concern is the weight of the box, so will just read a little more about this process and then give it a try. Thanks again for the advice!

o

If you use tapcons, get the ones with a hex head style cap, A nut driver on a cordless impact tool is the best way to install these. Make sure you use the right size masonry bit provided by tapcon, drill the hole 1/4" deeper than the fastener, clean out the dust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here