Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sealing painted vanity

Posted by lauraella (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 07 at 21:29

Hi,

I am painting my bathroom vanity and was wondering how to seal it best. Is there a type of wax to use, or is it just poly.

They were standard oak builders cabinets, I first sanded, primed with zinzer (sp) then applied behr Bitter Chocolate, so far 2 coats. I just lightly sanded and will do a third coat. I want to gently distress then seal in some way.

I will try to post pics.

Thanks,

Laura

Old Cabinets
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

primed and embellishments added

first coat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sealing painted vanity

Why do you think it needs to be sealed?

o

I guess it is just habit! Not that it sees much moisture. Just wanted to protect it.

o

That's what the paint is for ;-)

A friend of mine is a pretty good finisher and for years was publisher / editor of a woodworking magazine. He told me once, "There's a reason why you don't see people putting polyurethane over the paint on the outside of their houses."

Wax is not really waterproof. The fact that water beads up on it is a matter of surface tension. Water does still get through unless it's really thick.

One of poly's weaknesses is adhesion. You risk creating more of a mess if adhesion fails.

The only time I put clear finish over "paint" is when I'm glazing a painted (lacquer) finish and need to lock down the glaze and adjust the sheen with a coat of clear lacquer.

o

Ok, then I guess I am fine!

I will have to post the pics when I am done.

Just need to hang the doors and put on the hardware. Then add a bit of distressing and wear. Hope it turns out all right!

Thanks,

Laura

o

Looks like you've done a fine job.

o

kmealy.....I want to do something similar to our oak vanity! I also wanted to change the countertop, though and was wondering what kind of tile that is you used....it looks great! Did you build a whole new countertop or did you cover what was there? Can't wait to see pics of the finished project!
Thanks!

o

Sorry I never posted pics when it was finished! The tile is granite, sorry I can't remember the name. We took off the faux marble top and rebuilt for the tile.

Here is a pic.
Photobucket

Looking at maybe doing the same finish to a desk I bought at the consignment store. So far it has worked well.

Laura

o

The granite tile is really nice! I've been thinking about doing that for our bathroom. I don't want to do a major renovation and it would be too small an order to have a slab granite counter made (too $$, too!). You did a beautiful job on those edges. Was it hard to do? Ive done a ceramic tile counter in my old house. Did you use thick plywood as a base for it? The tile looks good with those drop in sinks. The whole job looks nice.

I have formica cabinets in my bathroom, unfortunately. So no refinishing will be possible. I still have to figure out what to do about those. I really dont want to get all new.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here