Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
custom millwork questions chicago area

Posted by sportsgaleliza (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 07 at 20:58

I am renovating a 100 year house in the chicago area and need several hundred feet of custom millwork for the windows and doors.

I am seeking to replicate the woodwork that is already in the house.

The original woodwork on the 1st and 2nd floor was oak but I am thinking that I will use poplar because I plan to paint the wood. Does that make sense?

I plan to bring in a sample of the old millwork that I am looking to replicate. Are there major differences between different millwork places? Any ideas on places to go in the chicago area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: custom millwork questions chicago area

Poplar makes a good paint-grade wood. A friend of mine rehabbed a Victorian home and found it was cheaper to buy a molding machine and have custom knives made. Now, he is an expert woodworker, but it is still an option.

Here is a link that might be useful: The machine he bought

o
RE: custom millwork questions chicago area

kmealy is right - custom knives will have to be cut for your moldings. I had one small custom custom router bit cut for me by Bull Sharpening in Oak Park (I'm an expert woodworker, too) ;-) and, about twn years ago, it was a little over $100. For a shaper, there will have to be bigger knives, and of course one for each shape you need.

All this will be included in the price you will be quoted from your millwork supplier. Since you will spread it out over several hundred feet of stock, it may not be too tough to justify.

Take samples to several places and get quotes to compare.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here