Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
radial arm saw

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 20:58

I just picked up an old Dewalt Powershop 7740 radial arm saw at an estate sale ($40). I'm a handyman, but know next to nothing about this type of saw, other than watching Norm a bit here and there. I "think" I may have the occasional use for it, we'll see.

I need to figure out if the saw is operating ok. Looks decent overall, though it needs a table surface (last one removed due to water damage of some sort).

Anyhow, when I power it up, there seems to be some momentary slippage in the blade before it seems to rotate normally. Similar to if a circular saw blade nut were a little bit loose, though the nut is snug. This would be like 1/2 second, but noticeable. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not?

Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: radial arm saw

Are saying the blade is slipping on the arbor or the arbor isn't spinning up with the motor?

Just as an FYI, you can get parts for old DeWalt saws from Wolfe Machinery Company.

o

Mike, thanks for the reply and the link.

Turned out the blade WAS loose on the arbor. I should have checked more thoroughly (with a wrench) before posting.

Also, while the motor doesn't sound in the best shape (bearing screech, sometimes, if there is such a thing?). I'll have to read and see if there's a way to oil it somehow. Fortunately it came with a Dewalt book "How to get the most out of a radial arm saw" by Silken.

o

Also, while the motor doesn't sound in the best shape (bearing screech, sometimes, if there is such a thing?). I'll have to read and see if there's a way to oil it somehow.

The motor has bearings. While it might require some disassembly it would certainly be worth trying to lubricate them.

o

Most bearing use grease, not oil.

Putting oil in a bearing designed for grease will wash out the remaining grease and result in even faster failure.

You can usually get bearing out of the motor with a little work, soak then in paint thinner to remove any hardened grease, and then pack them with grease by hand.

They can also be easily replaced.
Look in the yellow pages under 'bearings.'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here