Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you fix mismatched wood filler?

Posted by prgal76 (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 08 at 19:56

My husband and I installed a beautiful cedar post in our main living area when we removed the load bearing walls to open up the space. We wanted to keep the post natural looking so only applied a few thin layers of poly. As part of the install, we screwed though the top of the post into the beam above leaving large holes in the wood. We filled in the holes with a "cedar" wood filler and sanded. Now, the areas where the wood filler are look bad - very dark red, almost like someone painted oval dots on the post. Is there any way we can fix this and still keep the natural look of the wood?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you fix mismatched wood filler?

Dig it out with a small chisel, gouging tool, or drill it out just enough to add a thin layer of the right color putty. Touch up finish, or get the wax based touch up stick which is a putty intended for use after the finish is applied.

o
RE: Can you fix mismatched wood filler?

I would buy a tube of artists oil paint in the desired color and a small brush and touch up the offending "oval dots". I trust the dots are high and won't be subject to regular wear form hands.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here