Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to do trim around this doorway

Posted by weedyacres (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 19:21

I want to trim out this doorway:

to look something like this (general idea, not the exact design):

I will also do something on the thick (~12") wall that leads into the room, like picture frame molding.

My challenge: on the inside of the room, we've put up 5" crown molding, but the ceiling doesn't drop down when it gets to the doorway, so if the crown molding continued around, it would hang down below, which would obviously look stupid. And I can't run the crown around the 12" wall, because it wouldn't blend with the pediment/casing on the doorway. What's the best way to make this look good? I'm thinking I could build a small soffit across the doorway, then run the crown across the back and do all the trim on the front.

Will that work? Other ideas/methods of attacking this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to do trim around this doorway

Crown molding is commonly terminated with an outside corner and small wedge shaped piece covering the end to make the profile of the molding return against the wall. For each side of the doorway, make two outside corners with very short pieces to make the molding turn around the corner of the door jamb, and then turn again, ending with a butt edge to wrap the inside of the jamb.

o
RE: How to do trim around this doorway

I don't really want the crown to wrap onto the jamb part, because I'm going to do some picture frame molding on it, and it seems like that would look funky. Also, given that it's 5" molding, wouldn't that make a pretty severe-looking return? I guess I could play with a couple pieces to see what it would look like.

Thanks for your input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here