Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sanding belt splice

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 07 at 19:04

My 4 x 24 portable belt sanders (two of them) get used sporadically. A few years ago, I bought a quantity of belts by mail order. Butt spliced at an angle, run either direction, "bumpless". Tape on the back for the splice. Now the tape just pulls loose, sticky but no holding power. Belts are useless as they are. Stored under fairly good conditions, but not perfect. How can I salvage these belts? What kind of effective tape can I apply to hold them/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sanding belt splice

duct tape. Did you buy belts for a commercial unit (free standing units) and are trying to use them on a hand held sander? Either way I suspect the belts, using tape on the back, will only last so long compared to premade loop belts. You could try adjusting the tension of the belts, might help too.

Jim

o
RE: Sanding belt splice

Hi,
As far as I know, you are SOL. If you already have some, maybe tyvek tape is worth a try, but it's about $18/roll right now.
The problem is the heat from the friction is going to affect the adhesive. Cut them up for your quarter sheet or 1/3 sheet pad sander I suppose.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here