Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Amateur with shelving project and questions

graywings123
14 years ago

I have an L-shaped corner in my bathroom that I want to use for storage by setting some laminate shelves into. I want the shelves to be adjustable in height. This is my plan:

IÂm thinking of surface mounting three metal shelf standards to the wall, one on each side and one in the far back. Then using shelf supports, I would place L-shaped pieces of laminate up the wall as needed. The area in question is 21" wide in front, 11" wide in back, and 17" deep on the right side, 8" deep on the left side.

The concept seems straight-forward, but what do I need to consider that maybe I havenÂt thought of? It is a 90 year old house and the left wall may be plaster, but the others are ddrywall. The wall on the right side is the back side of a tiled bathtub/shower wall.

Are three shelf supports per shelf enough for light duty items? Do the standards have to be mounted on studs?

I know that the standards have to line up with one another  is there an easy way to do that?

As you can tell from the questions, IÂm a complete amateur. I have some basic tools and do hobbies and crafts that require measuring (sewing, wallpapering). I will farm out the shelf cutting to a friend once I make a template or two after the standards are up.

I don't know whether this forum supports photos, so if this comes through, ignore the paint colors - they came with the house.

Comments (2)