Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
re-using gumwood veneer panels

Posted by sayde (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 18:36

Our 80 year old kitchen is all natural (turned orange) gumwood. The cabinet doors have gumwood veneer panels. We would like to re-use them by reframing them into new cabinets (slightly resized) with surrounds of some different wood. Anyone have any suggestions or advice regarding: what kind of wood to use? Can the veneer panels be stripped and if so how best to re-seal them? Can gumnwood that has turned orange with age be brought back to it's original color (which is quite pale almost pink-ivory). The grain on the veneer panels is exceptionally attractive and we would love to keep them. If they cannot be lightened, can they be darkened with stain so that the grain still shows? Would very much appreciate any advice or any experience from others who have worked with gumwood. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: re-using gumwood veneer panels

I am bumping this hoping someone wlll see and respond.

o

It's likely that much of the orange color is in the finish rather than in the wood, but you can only tell for sure by stripping one of the panels and seeing what you get. You can't use heat to strip these because you'd be liable to soften the glue. You can't use abrasives because you'd be liable to sand through the veneer. You might be able to use a cabinet scraper, except that it's a tricky tool to learn to use, requiring frequent sharpening. That leaves you with chemical strippers, which could be anything from solvent alcohol to heavy-duty paint stripper depending on the existing finish.

I suggest you narrow your inquiry and do a little research on various finish types and their appropriate solvents and strippers. I am not expert here, but you can get a can of alcohol (from the hardware store, not the drug store) and try that first -- it will work only if the existing finish is shellac. If it doesn't work, try a more potent solvent like lacquer thinner. Again, stripping and refinishing is not my forte. Hopefully someone else will fill in the spaces in my general outline.

o

Thank you jon. I appreciate the information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here