Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
btheis

Trimming a window that is out of square

Bruce T
15 years ago

Hi Folks,

I want to trim a exterior garage window - essentially just "picture frame" it so it ties in more with the house. I plan using trim molding cut at 45 degree angles. Took all the height and width measurements and they are the same top to bottom and side to side. I'm not an experienced woodworker by any stretch of the imagination, but do know enough that in order to use 45 degree angles, the window that I want to frame must be square. It's not - off by 1/4". How do you account for this when planning the miter cuts? Or, do you just cut the pieces and take the difference into account when you nail up the trim pieces, filling the gaps in with caulk.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• User
    15 years ago

You wrote the side to side and top to bottom measurements were the same---and then said the window was 1/4" out of square.

That is confusing.

If the side to side is different from the top to bottom---that simply makes the window a rectangle instead of a square---and all miters will be 45 degrees. Two pieces will be 1/4" longer than the others---but the corners are still a total of 90 degrees.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

Do experimental cuts with scrap to determine what the angles are, as it will be in fractional degrees. Write each different angle on the wall so you can keep them straight, or draw it out on a plan before cutting the "real" wood.
    Miters are unstable joints anyhow; what is tight in July will open "inside" in January. And vice versa: what is tight in January will open up on the outside of the joint in July. What happens is that the angle changes whenever the wood swells or shrinks in width, and there is no way around this characteristic of woodwork. Miters need to be avoided on wide trim, especially if in an exposed situation.
    Casey

• green-zeus
    15 years ago

You could use Fypon. Then you don't have to worry about wood swelling and contracting.

• aidan_m
    15 years ago

I never use miters on outside windows. Say your trim is 3 1/2" wide. Cut the top piece 7" longer than the window size, the sides 3 1/2" longer, and the bottom piece even with the window. Butt all the joints. This keeps out rain better Put a healthy bead of caulk behind the trim boards before nailing. caulk the outside joints again before painting

• bullheimer
    15 years ago

i could tell you except that i agree 110% with the last post.

• jwhendy
    11 years ago

@handymac: equal side / top measurements but out of square *does* make sense. It's a parallelogram. Side and top piece trim lengths will the same, but you won't be splitting a 90 degree angle with 45 deg. miters. Instead, two angles will be slightly acute and two will be obtuse.

• zagut
    11 years ago

This is why God made the reveal.

Cheat it.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Measure the angles and split them for mitering.

• Mitchell Cook
    3 years ago

Yes it would be very helpful to actually see this instead of explaining