Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staining table top

Posted by maak (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 18:14

Hello! This is my first post here but I have been visiting for quite some time. I have no doubt that someone with have some good advice for me:)

I purchased a used oak table with the intention of refinishing the top in a dark stain. I sanded it to raw wood, and stained it with an oil based stain called "dark walnut". After 3 coats I am finding this just isn't going to make it dark enough.

After some poking around I have found that the gel stains seem to give the results I am looking for. If I were go that route, could I apply the gel stain over the oil based stain? I am looking at General Finishes Java.

Any advice would be so helpful:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staining table top

Sanding is a poor way to strip a finish. It's likely you have not completely removed it and there remains enough finish within the wood surface to inhibit it taking much stain. This is exactly how the so-called "Wood Conditioners" work -- they are a highly dilute finish that you apply before stain.

Pigmented stains contain a small amount of "binder" - a resin of some sort (oil, varnish, lacquer, or acrylic, depending upon type) to hold the pigment in place until a finish coat covers it. If you use too many applications of stain, you can end up creating a weak film.

As I see it, you have a couple of options:

1. Use a chemical stripper to remove the stain you've applied and the residual finish. Then start over.

2. Apply a coat of finish, then use a gel stain as a glaze. A glaze is a colorant between coats of finish. Worst case, if this doesn't work, is go to option 1.

You might be tempted to use an "all-in-one" color and finish such as Polyshades. Resist this urge. It's very difficult to put this stuff on and get it looking even. Technically, it's a "toner" -- a finish with color in it. Toners really need to be sprayed very lightly in order to get them on evenly and to keep them from going opaque and looking like paint.

o
RE: Staining table top

Thank you so much for your reply! Someone else had suggested Polyshades... and I almost went ahead with it against my better judgment. I am going to try your option 2. Thanks Again:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here