Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing exterior window sills

Posted by springwater (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 17:59

I would like to replace an exterior custom made window sill which has too much rot to repair. I have visited numerous web sites for instruction how to do this but for a novice like myself, they are confusing. Some go so far to state that the interior sill and trim must also be removed which seems unnecessary to me, particularly since the face of the interior trim is flush with the plaster (the way they did it in the colonial days)and would cause untold destruction to the plaster. Does anyone have any good reference(s) to help me replace a window sill? Pictures would be most helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing exterior window sills

Pictures of your window would be helpful, too. The sill is the bottom of the rectangular frame of the window. It's a single piece of wood that goes pretty much all the way through the wall. It is integral to the window, not a piece you can easily pry off and replace. You may be able to cut away and replace just part of the sill, depending on how extensive the rot is, but it's tough to say whether this is feasible without seeing the problem. Replacing the whole sill is not a novice-level project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here