Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnlaw

Water-based poly on Douglas fir

mtnlaw
14 years ago

I ordered Doug fir trim for our new house to blend with the fir post & beam timberframing. I had a company prefinish it with a water-based poly called Durathane. I have a couple of questions about this.

First: I was a bit disappointed in the trim as it is not as deep rosy/red as the timbers. I know Doug fir darkens with exposure to light and the timbers have indeed darkened since the framing was done months ago. Bu the trim is almost pine-looking it is so light. SOme of it does have some darker grain. Some is vertical grain and some is flat grain. I could not afford all CVG, or clear vertical grain which is ridiculously expensive. Anyway, my first question is: will water-based poly impede the darkening process? I don't want it to. I did read somewhere that an oil-based stain or finish will darken it more than water-based.

Second question: is there any product I can use to apply over the poly to give the wood a darker look but still show the grain? I tried Minwax polyshades but that stuff looks crappy and is hard to apply evenly. I've also tried Zar Plus which is a poly/stain mix and it looks better but not great.

Thanks for any info.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!