Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood, Screened in Porch Help

Posted by LetaJ (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 16:33

Hi!

The previous owners of our home built a screened in porch as an addition to the house. They sandwiched the screens between wood frames. We were dog sitting and the dog went through one of the screens and ripped it out of the frame. I thought it would be an easy fix, just remove one half of the frame, replace the screen fabric and put the frame back on. Except, after they built the porch and installed the screens, they poly'd everything as a whole unit. The frames are firmly glued together.

Short of taking a crow bar and prying them apart (and then damaging the wood, and having to rebuild), does anyone have a solution of how I can get them apart?

As a whole, it needs to be sanded, it is peeling everywhere on the outside portion of the structure (porch side seems fine still) and retreated with something better. But first, I have to fix the screens.

Thank you for your time and advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood, Screened in Porch Help

Aside from cutting each joint and rippin each piece thru a table saw i think rebuilding is easier. But im sure someone else has more ideas. Sorry.

o

you can route out the back side, replace screen material and then make a piece of stop or trim too cover. that will look like the original.

or you can make stop or trim and do it to all of the screens (which should of been done in the first place) then they would all look the same.

o

Do you think a Dremel would work to separate the wood?

I thought about ripping all the screens out and routing a channel (although I am not sure how) all the way around so I could just use the rubber screen stuff (can you tell that I am in no way an expert?) that you push in with the little roller.

o

you can do it like this. it has the same trim on both sides with the groove for the rubber stuff to hold it in.
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here