Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

How to fill in chipped-away veneer

Posted by talley_sue_nyc (My Page) on
Sat, May 16, 09 at 16:22

I bought an incredibly beat-up dresser at a tag sale because it was a great, roomy size & proportion.

It had a crummy paint job to begin with, and my plan is to paint it. I'm in the process of sanding it smooth (some wood filler blotches, and paint blotches).

The biggest issue I'm wondering about is this: At the edges of most of the drawers, the original veneer has peeled / chipped away in ragged shapes.

The previous owners simply painted over it, and I was thinking of doing that too.

However, we want to decoupage a poster of Master Chief (from Halo 3--can you tell whose dresser this will be? my preteen son's) onto that center section where most of the chips are. And I thought it might be best to have as smooth a surface underneath him as I can (esp. near the edges of the drawers).

These peeled-away veneer spots are wide (some wider than others) and shallow.

How do you successfully fill something like that?

Wood putty? Spackle?

This dresser is in bad enough shape (the entire corner of one drawer is chewed away) that NOBODY is ever going to do anything but paint it, so beauty isn't important--just smoothness and lasting adhesion.

Any advice for filling them would be good. We can try to sand them flat, but that's not really going to give me a level surface; just less sharply defined dips.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: How to fill in chipped-away veneer

Glue down the loose edges then use Bondo on the voids. Sand to smooth when it's set up. You might need a couple of applications.

RE: How to fill in chipped-away veneer

On or close to edges, wood putty does not stick well. Unless you drill some small holes along the edge. Then force putty into the holes and smooth so the putty is above the surface. Then wait a couple days to allow the putty in the holes to harden, and gently sand smooth.

Always use primer under paint!

RE: How to fill in chipped-away veneer

Bobsmyuncle: Bondo Painter's Putty? Or All-Purpose?

(I've never used Bondo; the automotive versions sounds scary. This isn't as scary is it? Or is it essentially the same thing?)

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here