Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to care for quarter sawn oak bookcase?

Posted by oregpsnow (My Page) on
Tue, May 3, 11 at 16:16

I have a 3 tier quarter sawn oak bookcase that was in my family for a long time - even before I was born and I am old. It was finished with a stain but does not have a shiny finish. Sorry - that is about all I know about it. It is in near-perfect condition. However, it has been sitting around for a long time and is getting a bit dirty. I tried cleaning it with a damp cloth but that didn't work very well. What do I use to safely clean it without damaging it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to care for quarter sawn oak bookcase?

Guardsman 'polish.'

If that does not remove any grime, try some paint thinner and a lot of rags (outdoors is a good idea since paint thinner is flammable).

When you have it clean a coat of Guardsman should help, or you can go the full paste wax route if you want a glossier appearance.

o

I use Guardsman Polish (I generally buy concentrate by the case). It does have some mild cleaning action. Whether or not it's enough for your bookcase, only trial will tell.

Below is a good article on cleaning. That would be my approach if the polish does not work.

If I need to kick it up a bit, I use Guardsman's "Kitchen Cabinet Wipes." These are just awesome. I've cleaned stuff that had already been cleaned 5 times with Murphy's Oil Soap and they came up black in a square foot or so of cleaning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving the FInish

o

Thank you both for the information. I will try the Guardsman Polish on the bookcase and get the Kitchen Cabinet wipes for my filthy white cabinets. I can't find anything that will get them clean. I will repaint at some point but they are nasty now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here