Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Willette Dining room set needs help, should I refinish?

Posted by angel9603 (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 11 at 15:51

Hello, I posted this on the decorating forum and was directed to the experts on this forum. I have an issue with a piece of furniture from my grandmother's house and figured I would ask the experts on how to try and resolve it. It's the Willette Lancaster County Maple set. My grandmother gave me her dining room table and 4 chairs. The problem is with the tabletop. Whatever she cleaned it with or how it was stored seems to have damaged the finish. I researched this manufacturer and seems they discourage refinishing it but not sure what else to do. I want to preserve it, if possible but it may be too far gone. It has spots all over it, they look like water spots that are not coming off. I haven't tried much other than murphys oil soap, which helped only a little bit. It's very dull looking in some areas but not others so it appears the finish has been worn off. Any suggestions? Thanks so much, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Willette Dining room set needs help, should I refinish?

I am always a supporter of "restoration" instead or "refinishing" If you strip a finish and apply a new finish etc it looks like a new table and ruins the wood's natural patina. This is what they mean by discouraging refinishing.

My suggestion would to research furniture restoration techniques to determine what your problem may be. It is probably a wax finish. There are many articles on repairing water damage on wax finishes.

You could also search for "furniture restoration or repair" in your area to consult a professional.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here