Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help us with our stairs!

Posted by paucie (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 15:45

We originally thought we wanted to refinish the treads and risers on our 112-year old staircase, and "clean up" all the surrounding woodwork. I've learned that what I've been calling "baseboards" are referred to as "stringers" in staircase lingo. Whatever you call them, they're horribly spattered with paint from over the years, and I'd like them to be refreshed. Problem is, no one wants to deal with that much refinishing. I've been told it would easily be around $3,000 to complete the entire staircase, which is more than we want to spend. This is not our forever home.

Photobucket

Photobucket

One of the guys we had over here told us that a big part of the discoloration on our treads is from 112 years of good ol' dirt. He recommended that DH get something called "Goof Off" and try working on the stairs with that. Here's the spot he worked on -- it doesn't seem like a good overall solution, though. Is it removing too much?

Photobucket

Bottom line -- how can we even out the colors and remove the paint stains/splatters? We just want to pretty things up enough so that we can install a runner. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help us with our stairs!

Haven't done much refinishing in a very, very long time, but we use to use Formbys. Don't know if it is still made, but it just kind of mixed/smoothed the desolved finish. At least that's what I remember of it.

o

I don't think you're going to get the sort of results you'd like without stripping and refinishing -- the treads and risers at the very least. What you've got there is not just dirt on top of the finish, it's dirt ground into the finish, and probably some areas where the finish is worn away entirely. There's no shortcut for those areas.

The stringers and banister look to be in better shape. For them, you might find a solvent / cleaner that can remove the paint spatter without hurting the underlying finish... but it's a long shot.

If you can't swing the cost to have a pro do it, there's always DIY. The materials are relatively cheap.

o

Worked many of those things here in a borough of NYC. In your case I would recommend that you leave the finish as is and clean those areas that will show. I have used solutions of various cleaning agents on them and essentially washed and 'picked' the offending paint off the finish (don't mix the cleaners...as that could give you a dangerous chemical soup). I simply experimented until I found stuff that works. Armstrong New Beginnings floor stripper works well; it is not recommended for painted surfaces...and that is why it worked for me many times; helps to soften the paint somewhat.

Some cleaning solution and a nylon pad, such as that called a "dobie", may be what you may want to try. That and plenty of "elbow grease"...and patience.

o

I would clean it with denatured alcohol and apply several coats of de-waxed shellac as a finish.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here