Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
badgergrrl_gw

Cabinet doors advice

badgergrrl
12 years ago

Let me start by saying: I have some woodworking experience, but am definitely on the 'beginner' spectrum, and I appreciate all that I am learning here.

I'm going to make some new doors for existing kitchen cabinets, then plan to make a new cabinet for one wall that has a hideous HD special that doesn't fit in the space or match anything.

The cabinets are face framed, from the late-40s, early-50s with slab, 3/8" inset doors. I want flush, full inset shaker doors, which will match the style of the house better (a&c bungalow). Everything has been, and will be, painted white (well, off white, since they didn't have blinding white paints in the 20s ;) ). I do anticipate having to do some selective sanding, as one or two are the openings aren't exactly square, but, all in all, they are remarkably close. Thankfully, there are only a few doors, as I have converted some of the uppers to open shelves and it's a very small kitchen.

I have a couple of options, and would like some advice on what would be the best choice. My first option would be to use 1/2" plywood (baltic birch or another type of good quality), then cut faux rails and stiles out of 1/4" plywood, attach, fill the holes and paint.

Second option, make actual panel doors, using a table saw to make tenon and groove rail/stiles out of solid wood and 1/4" plywood panel. Any pros/cons for either method? Any other methods that might work better?

Thanks.

Comments (2)