Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wood filler

Posted by hogan_nj (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 14:28

I want to fill some recessed screw holes in cedar. I already stained it with a cedar stain. I went to home depot and bought an exterior wood filler,it was natural color. I thought I would just apply stain. Didn't work,it sticks out like a sore thumb.

They had other colors,everything except cedar. The others were either too dark or too light.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wood filler

Even patching compounds that "accept stain" never come out the same color as actual wood.

Cross grain plugs made from actual wood are about the least visible method.

o

I agree....I am using #9- 3" exterior deck screws. What size counterbore bit would i need and what size plugs? Thanks

o

Measur4e a head and go up to the next available size of plug.

While it is possible to make plugs, it chews up a lot of wood that needs to be pretty high grade.

The manufacturer's can use scraps they would otherwise pitch anyway.

1/16 increments are common, with the taper on the plug sides being about that amount.

o

One last question....do they make a permanent marker for touch ups?Needs to be for outdoor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here