Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of non-stained wood for mudroom lockers

Posted by OntarioMom (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 14:21

Hi everyone,

We ware designing wood mudroom lockers. We live in Ontario, Canada so long snow season. We have four kids. Our plan was to choose a wood that was not too yellow (not pine), and can stand up to the wear and tear it will receive. We don't want to stain or paint the lockers as we think they would require re-painting and re-staining frequently. We would prefer to put another coat of varnish on from time to time as opposed to re-staining or re-painting. So the wood has to look good with just varnish.

Can you suggest a species of wood that would wear well and not yellow or get too orange over time (most of our colours are cool greys, blues, etc)?

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of non-stained wood for mudroom lockers

In my experience, adding paint is usually as easy, if not more so, than properly adding a coat of varnish---and if you are referring to polyurethane type varnish----paint is much easier.

Plus, if you were to use an alkyd paint(more water/moisture resistant than any varnish), the frequency of recoating is much longer, due to the durability of the paint.

Now, applying alkyd paint is more difficult---about half again as much as regular paint.

Advantages would far outweigh anything else for me---and I have used alkyd paint often for customers for bathroom wood cabinets I built or bought.

o

handymac,

Your information is very useful. We will take another look at paint options after reading your post.

Thanks!

Carol

o

Look at pre-finished maple plywood to make them out of, like they use in better kitchen cabinets. The catalyzed finish they use is extremely tough.

o

Thanks rwiegand for your help. Where would be the best place to purchase pre-finished maple plywood? I can't say I have seen it at our lumber yards, but will ask around. I have seen the plywood they use for the better quality boxes, but I don't recall seeing any that had a shine, protective finish, but it does sound ideal.

Carol

o

I get mine from Boulter Plywood in Somerville, MA. Most hardwood lumber places I've been to seem to stock it, most will ship, truck freight isn't too expensive. Look under hardwood lumber in your local yellow pages, if such a thing still exists.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here