Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Band Saw Review - Central Machinery

Posted by fred57 (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 08 at 14:17

I have a 14" Central Machinery Bandsaw that I think is a good value. It did vibrate when I first purchased it like all bandsaws do in this price range. Since I didn't want to spend the $1500 or more on a better quality unit, I decided to stabilize this one.

First and foremost is proper assembly of the saw. Everything comes from China these days so take the time to tune the flywheels, tires, blade, drive belts etc. If you slap it all together you will have problems with any saw.

Secondly, the vibration problem comes from having a 180 pound cast iron saw precariously mounted to a ten pound sheet metal stand. I did two things to minimize the vibration. I bolted a 4'x6' piece of inch plywood to the bottom of the stand this reduced most of the vibration because now I stand on the plywood while cutting!

Next I started taping bolts to the top flywheel in various locations. Much like the tire shop would balance the wheels on your truck. I could tell right away when the weights took it further out of balance. After an hour of tuning, I found the sweet spots and the vibration was almost gone. I did the same thing to the bottom flywheel and now the problem is resolved. I tack welded the bolts in place and now it cuts smooth as silk. Doesn't get any better for a $400 saw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Band Saw Review - Central Machinery

I know of about 120 folks who bought that band saw for $169 three years---or four---ago during a sale.

They were much better back then.

Remember, HF stuff is merely a knock off of a real machine---made by a company that does testing and has parts and customer service.

o
RE: Band Saw Review - Central Machinery

Sure it gets better. For $250 you could get an older Delta 14", have a better saw, be able to get parts when you need them, and get all your money back if you want to sell it. And the wheels will run true...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here