Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fred57_gw

Band Saw Review - Central Machinery

fred57
15 years ago

I have a 14" Central Machinery Bandsaw that I think is a good value. It did vibrate when I first purchased it like all bandsaws do in this price range. Since I didn't want to spend the $1500 or more on a better quality unit, I decided to stabilize this one.

First and foremost is proper assembly of the saw. Everything comes from China these days so take the time to tune the flywheels, tires, blade, drive belts etc. If you slap it all together you will have problems with any saw.

Secondly, the vibration problem comes from having a 180 pound cast iron saw precariously mounted to a ten pound sheet metal stand. I did two things to minimize the vibration. I bolted a 4'x6' piece of ¾ inch plywood to the bottom of the stand this reduced most of the vibration because now I stand on the plywood while cutting!

Next I started taping bolts to the top flywheel in various locations. Much like the tire shop would balance the wheels on your truck. I could tell right away when the weights took it further out of balance. After an hour of tuning, I found the sweet spots and the vibration was almost gone. I did the same thing to the bottom flywheel and now the problem is resolved. I tack welded the bolts in place and now it cuts smooth as silk. Doesn't get any better for a $400 saw.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living