Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late for stain???

Posted by lyban (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 08 at 14:14

I have white cedar and some pine used in my outdoor window trim and sidelite. I have put on Cabots clear solutions in cedar color to protect the wood. The color came out too orangey and I would like to now add a stain on top. Is it too late to add stain on top of this clear solution which is a protector. Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late for stain???

yes

o

You should strip the finish if you don't like it. Put more stain on top of it and you will end up doing do twice as much stripping.

o

Once the wood is sealed staining has a very limited effect. However if all you need is to kill the orange tint, you can give it another coat which has been tented with green (trans tint, etc.) and that will shift the color more to brown, killing the orange.

Experiment on a sample board until you get the tint right. You may need to add a touch of blue also.

o

I add blue to kill orange...
But green is made of boue and yellow together...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here