Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tree trunk slice picture frame

Posted by nimajneb78 (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 13:49

I have never used a forum nor have I done any woodworking to date. I have a 3'X4" round tree trunk slice that I want to make an ornate picture frame from. All I can find online are forums about trunk slice tabletops and branch picture frames. I have read the postings concerning PEG shrink prevention and curing the wood with minimal cracks. I don't want to make a table so cracking isn't that big of a deal. I intend to hollow out the back of the piece but not all the way through. Leave about 1/4" of thickness to the front. I could fit the "hole" with a round piece of glass. In the front of the piece, I would cut "windows" of various shapes n sizes (for pictures). Glass in back, pictures next, and maybe cardboard behind pictures. Since I have no woodworking experience, any help would be appreciated. Should I do the cutting early on? Perhaps that will prevent cracking. What are the best methods and tools for sanding? Is a router the best tool for hollowing the back? Again, any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tree trunk slice picture frame

Cracking is due to differential shrinkage -- most species of woods shrink twice as much tangentially (around the rings) as they do radially (from the center out). Since circumference is proportional to radius (c = 2*pi*r), "something has to give." This is why cracks are usually looking like someone took a slice of pie (not pi) out.

Thus, removing the center will reduce this tendency. Though if I understand what you want to do is a number of swiss-cheese windows in a three foot wide section, it may not eliminate it. And yes, do it as soon as possible, while the wood is still wet. Removing the waste could be done with a coping saw, scroll saw, jig saw, hole saw(in a drill) or router. To get the rabbet on the back, the best tool would be a router with a bearing-guided rabbet bit. Any other method would be quite tedious.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample rabbet bit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here