Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sagging kitchen cabinet door - repair? PICS included

Posted by house_md (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 08 at 13:26

I have sagging kitchen cabinet doors and need to fix them (so I can install the baby latches!). Photos are below!

I am willing to pay for some quality latch hardware in order to obtain a long-term solution.

Any advice (and places to buy) would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sagging kitchen cabinet door - repair? PICS included

It looks to me as if the hinges are either broken or simply loose / misadjusted. The doors don't look like they're broken, and it's unlikely the face frames of the cabinets have moved, so the problem is almost certainly with one or more hinges. There shouldn't be any rattle and slop in their movement. Look closely at the hinges and try to see where something is loose or out of place.

o

Most of the 35mm style hinges have 3-way adjustments. I can see some adjusting channels in your photo. Loosen the screws, readjust and tighten back up.

o

If your hinges can't adjust properly, you can buy new 35mm hinges that will fit perfectly with the existing door prep.
I can tell the ones on your cabinets are some of the cheapest- they do not appear to have much adjustment built in. But Bob's nephew is right, you can probably readjust these to get them to at least work for a baby latch.

Before buying new hinges, you need to measure the overlay. That is how much the hinged edge of the door covers the face of the cabinet when the door is closed. The hinges in your picture look like they may be 3/8" overlay, but I can't tell for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here