Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help -- need a Table Saw fence

Posted by wtsca (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 13:13

I have a Delta TS350 table saw that is missing the fence. I understand that the part is discontinued by Delta and is not available (part #1348731). I have read on some forums that the table is non-standard in size (22 1/4" x 38 3/8") and may be hard to find a replacement. Is there any other universal fence or other option I have? I need a fence to use the saw. Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help -- need a Table Saw fence

There are a number of upgrade and aftermarket fences available. Most of the Biesmeier type have a proprietary front rail and do not require a back rail.

Your other option is to find someone who's upgraded their fence and has the old one sitting in the rafters.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5933&filter=fence

o

Biesmeyer or a clone is the closest thing to a universal fence. Table size doesn't really matter. They are rugged and are probably the most used fence in industry. Most of the older style fences did not work well, hence the success of Bies as an after market fence.

o

Please get a fence that that only uses a front rail. Anything else is junk. If you have novice experience with a tablesaw you can really easily hurt yourself using a poor, or rigged fence.

You can also hurt yourself a lot of other ways using a state of the art fence if you're a novice. Take care and be safe.

Make sure the fence is parallel with the blade. Then move the back of the fence one micron away from the back of the blade. Kickback comes from the rear of the blade binding the material against the fence. Tilt the back of the fence away from parallel with the blade ever so slightly to minimize the kickback risk. You do this by adjusting /shimming the front rail of the fence where it mounts to the table.

o

"Then move the back of the fence one micron away from the back of the blade. "

And then you will have a problem if you ever place the fence on the other side of the blade.

Leave the blade parallel.

o

For what it's worth, Forrest (manufacturer of high-end saw blades) does recommend adjusting the fence so it's a bit further from the back of the blade than from the front of it. I think 0.005" is the dimension they suggest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here