Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing 100year old int doors- help!

Posted by saintpfla (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 12:43

This is the first time I've done this, so please help me to not screw it up! :-)

I have stripped the layers (and I mean, layers...) of paint off of my old interior wood doors. My home is around 100years old so every type of paint since paint was invented is on the door.

Now that it is stripped, HOW do you get the paint that seeped into the pores of the wood, cracks, etc. removed?

The wood is gorgeous amber-red heart of pine. Too beautiful to repaint. I would like to stain and shellac the doors. I have heard that boiled linseed oil is another way to go, then shellac it - but, I don't know anything about that. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

So, removing every bit of paint is imperative. I have been using a paste paint stripper, a nylon scrub brush and a metal scraper (just for removing the lifted layers of paint).

What can I do to remove the seeped in paint? I 'think' some of it is surely lead-paint because some of it barely moves even with the chemical stripper.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing 100year old int doors- help!

You are going to have use paint stripper, as well as dental picks or scrapers to remove the paint. A very tedious process.

To refinish the doors I would just use a couple coats of varnish.

o

Hey!In my opinion you should definately preserve this wood!I'm from D.C. area and have worked with this wood extensively.There are many ways to remove paint,fill nail holes,cracks etc.These may be labor intensive,but not real difficult.Burn in sticks are the best solution.The wood may then be tinted(toned)to the exact coler you prefer.Stay away from shellac,it is to high gloss.It is a great sealer,before a laquer coat.Heart pine should have a satin finish on an old structure.There are some great catylized laquer finishes which can provide iron clad protection for your millwork.There is no more old growth longleaf heart pine forests in America that can be harvested.All the lumber comes from re-milled beams,or sunken logging timber.
I'm in Palm harbor.Pretty close,shoot me an e-mail,maybe i can look at it and help a bit.

o

I don't have any advice, I'm reading for knowledge. But a picture might help the experts here.
What's the reason why sanding won't work?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here