Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Staining a wood floor

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

Well I sanded down my old fir floors removing just the poly on top and not going down too far because the previous people had done a drastic sanding on it and had actually gone through the tong and groove in a couple of places. It looks OK, a little rustic but thats OK. Question: there is still some poilyurethane in the low spots which I will remove by hand sanding, but since this is a light sanding and I'm not going too deep, I can't guarantee that every last bit of poly will be gone. Will this affect how evenly stain goes on? Im thinking I should use a pre-stain (since its fir) but not sure which exact product - any suggestions?

What would you recommend for a good water based stain?

Tentative plan is to apply pre-stain, apply stain (masking off 4 or 5 floor boards at a time and applying the stain section by section so that it goes on evenly) then clear water based floor finish.

Does this sound like a plan? Any pitfalls to be aware of? Will it work to refinish one room first (bedroom), then move furniture in there and do the rest of the apartment? How to avoid getting a seam in the doorway where the floor finish overlaps?

Comments (3)