Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to clean hinge dust off woodwork/doors?

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 11:29

I've got lovely black oily dust from my cheap hinges all over my doors and casings. Some are finished with poly, others are unfinished. What can I use to clean the black marks off without damaging the poly finish? What about the unstained pine? I'm starting cleaning the hinges (need recommendations for that too) and pins on the finished doors one at a time, in place, and using white lithium grease. I'll do the unfinished doors one at a time as I finish them.

Damp cloth doesn't quite get everything off (esp. in grooves) of the finished doors.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to clean hinge dust off woodwork/doors?

If the wood is smooth, use a magic eraser, if not so smooth, use a microfiber. My preferred cleaner would be Dirtex.
Casey

o
RE: How to clean hinge dust off woodwork/doors?

Liquid dish soap and water, mix just like you were doing dishes. That will work just fine on the poly. It will also work on the unfinished stuff, maybe with a toothbrush to get in cervices. That will raise the grain on the unfinished wood, however.

You might try paint thinner on the unfinished wood. That can still raise the grain, but should do so less.

Sanding will restore the surfaces. 150 grit with a hand sanding block.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here