Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Protect Outdoor Table

Posted by schroads (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 11:16

I am new to this forum and only do minor woodworking--stripping older family dressers, tables or doors. I have reviewed several previous posts on this issue, but it looked like there was no hope regarding my situation.

I obtained a 9'x4' "potting" table that wife would like to use for an outdoor dining table. Although I initially thought it was oak (heavy), I am sanding it and it now appears to be European Ash. The table is from an English boarding school library (tag on the underside of the table). Although it is heavy, hard and strongly built, European Ash is not a durable wood for outdoors.

Before this revelation, I was planning to sand it down, stain (semi-transparent)then seal it. However, it may not be worth it now. The table will be on a flagstone patio with a tree acting as a natural umbrella in New Jersey. The table will get a little morning sun and a lot of early afternoon sun before it is shaded.

Any ideas how I can use this table as an outdoor dining table?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Schroads

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Protect Outdoor Table

Two things.

Get the ends of the legs off the flagstone.

Use an opaque deck stain.

You will need to reapply whichever finish you use. Each outdoor finish has it's own problems.

Thompsons is basically oil and has to be renewed yearly.

Spar varnish needs to have at least three coats and will need sanding and recoating about every three to four years.

The best finish will be house paint.

There is a trick, however. Most varieties of house paint are made using tint bases. Those are numbered, generally 1, 2, 3, and 4. #4 being the deep tint base. One brand has its deep tint base as #5.

That base---without any color additive, will dry clear and protect as well as the colored paint.

o
RE: Help Protect Outdoor Table

Thanks Handymac!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here