Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jench_gw

advice for cleaning/refinishing kids table?

jench
13 years ago

Hi, this is my 1st post in this forum, so thanks for reading! (I'm usually over in Old House and Buying/Selling.) I bought a second-hand train table for my boys to use, but it is pretty badly scratched up on the top, and really needs to be cleaned (play-dough and other unidentified gunk)

So my questions are:

1) what can I use to clean the table that is strong enough to clean but won't destroy the wood (or "wood product", see below)

2) do you have any suggestions for how to improve the appearance of the scratched finish? After cleaning, could I just find a matching stain to go over the scratches with? Or do I need to sand the entire surface and start from scratch? Any recommendations on what I should try and/or specific product recs would be greatly appreciated!

I'm going to try to add a couple of pictures and the link to the product site/info. It's from Pottery Barn Kids, so while it seems sturdy, I know (from a past experience, unfortunately!) that their stuff isn't the best quality to start with. Which is why I bought an inexpensive used one! Plus, in a couple of months, I'm sure my kids will have their own scratches to add, so I'm not toooo concerned with making it look perfect, just spiffed up a bit.

Thanks so much for any input you might have!

Jen

Some info snipped from the product website (the specific wood/veneer type is not stated, but it is pretty soft whatever it is):

- Masterfully crafted from solid hardwood, hardwood veneers and MDF, an engineered wood that lends exceptional strength and ensures that the table and carts will endure over time.

- All wood is kiln dried for added strength and lasting beauty.

- The use of veneers results in high-quality furniture with flawless surfaces and consistent color tones.

- Our finishes were developed exclusively for Pottery Barn Kids.

- Our Espresso and Honey finishes are applied in layers for exceptional depth of color. All finishes are sealed with a final coat of lacquer for extra durability.

Here is a link that might be useful: train table

Comments (4)