Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gel stain help - big project!

Posted by canuck88 (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 10:58

Hi all,

I've seen some impressive results from celticmoon and others who have used gel stain over top of previously finished wood.

I have a huge project I am planning to undertake with this method - a large circular solid oak staircase. The staircase is currently a light golden oak color, and I'd like to 'stain' it a darker shade. I'm opting to try this method because painting the balusters, risers, etc. would be such a travesty since it is such beautiful wood.

I also can't strip it and start over - there are 80+ spindles, and it would take a lifetime (or $$$$).

Luckily there is a carpet runner, so I can test everything out under where the runner is.

Here are my questions:

1. Using a brush to apply the gel stain on the spindles will be very difficult - is it possible to use a cloth or sponge to get the same effect? Using a brush on the treads, risers, and handrail would not be a problem.

2. Can a wipe-on poly be used on top of this gel stain finish? Again, I was thinking of using a wipe-on poly for all areas except the treads (on which I would use a more heavy-duty finish).

3. The only stain that is available in my area is Minwax. Any tips on working with this specific stain?

4. Am I crazy for trying to take this on? lol

Cheers!

PS - cross-posted to home decorating

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gel stain help - big project!

I don't use gel stains as a glaze, but I know people that do.

There are plenty of places you can order glaze or gel stain from, so don't believe you are stuck with Minwax.

If the gel stain is oil-based and it is flashing off too quickly for you to manipulate, you can add a tablespoon or two of mineral spirits per pint as a retarder.

Here is a link that might be useful: glazing techniques

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here