Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterlox on fir front door? Will it look ok?

Posted by cstrombe (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 07 at 10:29

We have a paint grade fir front door that we just got and it looks pretty good to us (no knots). We have been reading about Waterlox on these forums (thinking of using it on our oak floors now), and were wondering if it would look good on our front door. Anyone have experience with fir + waterlox? I have read that fir does not stain well, so wondering if it would look bad with waterlox also (we would just use waterlox on the door, no stain). And if waterlox would be appropriate for an exterior door. It's shaded under a roof eave, so does not receive direct sunlight, but will get some water spray from heavy rains etc.

Also, if we do waterlox the door and we don't like it, is it possible to paint over waterlox?

Thanks,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterlox on fir front door? Will it look ok?

Hi Chris, I have a Simpson entry door and Loewen windows in my home, both of these two are manufactured with vertical grain douglas fir.

After completing a test of my finishing schedule, the sample showed me that on my particular project the pre-stain conditioner did nothing so being non-essential that step was skipped.

I began by applying some Sherwin Williams Sher-Wood stain over the factory finish sanded raw wood. Additional sanding may have the potential to increase the chances for color blotching so try to avoid if possible. After fully drying, one thin coat of sanding sealer was applied and allowed to dry before filling any nail holes with a matching colored putty. After smoothing this fill, two thin coats of a semi-gloss oil based spar varnish were brushed on.

I did not have any problems with blotching anywhere in the project and the results are the fine furniture finish I desired. Like they often say, your mileage may vary. Enjoy your new woodwork!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here