Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warped oak ice cream parlor table top ...

Posted by roselee (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 08 at 10:15

Hubby and I are refinishing a recently acquired five piece ice cream parlor table set. Evidently the set had been left outside for some time. The solid oak table top had split in several places and one small section was missing. Hubby replaced it with a good quality pine board, but we wish now we had looked for an oak board instead. Anyway after glueing the pieces back with Gorilla Glue we see that the top is warped.

The chair seats have been sanded and stained, ready for varnish. Hubby thinks that the table top could be soaked with water and weighted down to flatten it. Does the collective knowledge of this group think this is feasable? Any tips on accomplishing it?

Thank you very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warped oak ice cream parlor table top ...

No, soaking and weighting it down to flatten it won't work. Sorry.

o

Okay ... thanks Jon for your reply.

o
Followup

Sure -- sorry I didn't have better news. If you intend to use the table indoors and want it flat, it would probably be easiest to simply make a new top for it. If it will be outdoors and exposed to the weather, I wouldn't spend a lot of time fussing over it because the weather will undo your hard work anyhow.

o

I usually tell people trying to unwarp a board is like trying to unring a bell.

The link below explains what's happened and suggests a possible cure.

Here is a link that might be useful: compression shrinkage

o

Thanks for the reply and for the link, bob's nephew. I read the whole thing. I guess we'll give up on the idea. It sounded plausible, but I guess not.

o
RE: Oh, and Jon ...

Jon, the table will be a covered patio and will end up having my small garden tools, gloves, seeds and stuff like that on it so I think I will just go ahead and sand, stain, varnish, and pretend the curves add to the charm. :-)

Thanks again to you both. It saved us a lot of time and trouble trying to straighten it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here