Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
restoring teak dining table and chairs

Posted by dcmarvel (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 08 at 9:58

Hello savvy woodworkers,
I have a circa-1950's teak dining room table and 4 chairs. It has been abused over the years and I would like to restore it.

I am not sure exactly what I need to do and what I should not do. I am thinking of sanding the top with an orbital sander. Any ideas of what sanding paper to use, how much to sand, what oil to put on after, etc.
Thank you!
dcmarvel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: restoring teak dining table and chairs

A lot of it is going to depend upon how bad it is and whether it's a veneer top or not.

Starting with sandpaper and an orbital sander is probably the wrong choice on many grounds.

If it is bad enough to need stripping, use a chemical stripper. It's messy but way more effective and less risky than starting with sanding. Once the finish is stripped off, all you need is a light sanding (e.g., 220). Starting with sandpaper is going to take forever and risks sanding through thin veneers.

The second issue is that most teak furniture is not "oiled" even though you think it may be. It's usually a flat low build lacquer. I have seen teak furniture that religiously got re-oiled annually. The result was a build up of soft and sticky oil (along with embedded fibers, hairs, etc.)

There may be some intermediate solutions if you give more information on where you are now with condition and where you want to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here