Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name for this panel onlay?

Posted by meagain (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 9:57

Hi. I'm trying to find a source for this particular wood 'onlay'? I have zero clue what it would be called so I can't even search on it.

Would anyone at least be able to tell me what it's called? I'm looking for these panels. They are simple grooved (lines) panels. Would most appreciate it. Thank you!

http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/ab56/meagainphoto/?action=view¤t=chestwithpanels.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Panel example

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name for this panel onlay?

Here's another photo

Here is a link that might be useful: Another photo with bended sides

o

Not sure there's a proper name for that. It looks as if the smooth flat (or curved) panel was slightly raised, and then a bunch of individual sticks were cut to length and nailed / glued on before painting; it's not a finished product that somebody bought and attached to an otherwise plain door.

o

I can think of three ways that could be done.

BTW, the first picture is radically different than the second.

None of the methods that could be used to make the panels in the second picture are a DIY job. A CNC machine(think $20K and up) would be the fastest.

The other two would involve using routers and jigs and would be quite involved to do.

All that meaning finding the right sizes or having them made will be very expensive.

o

It's a reeded panel (sometimes also called "matchstick" work). In the past I have made them with one of my molding planes.
Casey

o

Well, I'm assuming the panels can be bought at wood places that sell wood furniture onlays/adornments. In the links above this guy adds that stuff to most all of his pieces and I don't think he's making it by hand or having it made custom.

o

Since there is also a curved detail (not obvious in the first round) it would be very easy to do with applied individual half-rounds. Years ago I built and faced an entire curved cabinet with that technique; it was doors and drawers with a continuous treatment of half rounds, in heart pine. Unfortunately I never got a snapshot.
Casey

o

Thanks anyway everyone. I'll keep looking for them. They aren't hand made, or specially made. They're just textured panels, much like the rosettes are - bought somewhere. I'll keep trying. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here