Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood panel will not stain( do not think it is glue)

Posted by dwainessa (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 9:41

Restoring antique bed. Wood is stripped there are small scrapes, also what seems to be some small separation in the wood,hair like separations. ( not a crack) I have not sanded against the grain. Used paint striper and mineral spirts to remove old lacquer and stain. 120 Grit sand paper to to try to even these areas, whole bed has been sanded with 120 . I have tried to go in different directions to get the small areas to accept stain. (not working) I don't belive it's glue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood panel will not stain( do not think it is glue)

It takes lacquer thinner to remove lacquer---mineral spirits will not do so.

What kind of wood are you working with?

If it is oak or ash, the grain is the cause of the problem, and I don't know of any method to get stain out of the grain in those two woods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here