Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___gw

Any one know where I can find a matching handle? Pics

nicole__
13 years ago

I purchased this french provencial nightstand @ a thrift store & it's missing a handle. I only need one. On the back of the cast metal is a stamped 10085. How do I go about finding it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• Jon1270
    13 years ago

That's a tough one. It looks like the backs of the handles are probably curved to match the fronts of the drawers, rather than flat. That suggests to me that the handles were specially made for the furniture manufacturer. I'd look for sticker on the back, bottom of or inside the piece telling you who the manufacturer was, and maybe they can help you if they're still in business. Barring that, you're going to have to get really lucky (or have a foundry custom-cast you one).

• nicole__
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi jon1270....no, they stick out where the wood curves. Not a custom job(just a poor photo, sorry). I'm guessing they're "pot metal" and it broke with a lot of use.

I see others "like" it...robinsonantiques.com, plate #21, top left...but not exact.....??? I'll email them with the #10085 and see if they can help....

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bobismyuncle
    13 years ago

I have gotten replacement handles for good pieces over 40 years old, from the manufacturer. I think it was Henredon.

Otherwise, you might need to replace all the pulls.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bobsmyuncle....Do you recognize it as Henredon?

A lady just emailed me, said her grandmother owned this "exact" same set, only a dinning room table & buffet. The buffet had "these" same handles. She said it was purchased at Marshal Fields in 1950 & has since sold her set. No more info was provided.

• bobismyuncle
    13 years ago

I refinished a bedroom set very similar to this last year. I remember it was Widdicomb. I cannot remember if the handles were exactly the same, but they were close. Of course many manufacturers may have had this style. Have you looked inside the drawers, inside the carcase and on the bottom for a factory stamp?

• furnone
    13 years ago

They were probably made by Keeler Brass Co. of Grand Rapids, MI. Keeler Brass was the leading supplier of furniture hardware for most of the past century.
    In 2006, Hickory Hardware brought together five of the finest hardware companies in the world  Belwith, Keeler Brass, Wright Products, Madico and Faultless Caster. It appears that myknobs.com is the exclusive vendor for Hickory Hardware.
    Chances are slim that you will be able to obtain an exact match.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.myknobs.com/hickoryhardware.html

• nicole__
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I put 2 little knobs on it as a temporary fix and I'll just keep my eyes open.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I put 2 little knobs on it as a temporary fix and I'll just keep my eyes open.

• bobismyuncle
    13 years ago

furnone:
    Thanks for the reference on myknobs.com. I've added them to my files.