Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Beam suggestions... (X Post)

Posted by hdtvrocks (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 4:16

Hi,

I posted this in the remodeling forum , but maybe you woodwork experts can offer some suggestions.

The house I purchased has exposed wood beams that the SO would like to alter. However, we're not quite sure what type of wood it is, and how we can alter it. It's surface is smooth and varnished, but we'd prefer a lighter more natural look more like birch.

IMG_0706

IMG_0705

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Beam suggestions... (X Post)

My opinion:
Leave the ceiling alone. Don't mess with the color of the wood. First, it can't be made lighter without a lot of stripping and sanding. Second, it is a really nice exposed beam craftsman design.

The wall paneling is a bit too much. I would remove it and put up drywall, and or build an entertainment center w/ cabinets and shelves for the entire wall. Use Birch or Maple w/ a natural finish for the cabinets and a maybe darker color wood like cherry for the face frame.

Replace the painted metal railing by the stairs with something more contemporary. I like the stainless steel cable railings, run horizontally with wood posts and rail cap.

Changing the wall paneling and railing will dramatically alter the look and feel of the space. You can achieve the light natural look of birch by starting with Birch for your remodeling projects.

Good luck and happy woodworking.

o

Thanks for the suggestions aidan_m,

Do you have an example photo of the SS cable railing you mentioned? I've tried googling cable railings, but I don't quite see which style you think would fit our space.

I definitely agree about the wood paneling, we were going to use it for testing for wood treatments to the beam then paint, but drywalling it would probably be best.

Thanks!

o

can you explain how to post pics right onto the forum?

http://www.stainlesscablesolutions.com/images/10.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: check this out

o

Thanks aidan_m,

That looks really nice, going to have to investigate how much it'll cost me to do something like that.

To post pics into the thread you just use html image tags, like from this link: http://www.w3schools.com/htmL/html_images.asp

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here