Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going in Circles

Posted by tekbro (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 11 at 2:58

I'm building a turntable, and I was hoping you good folks could tell me the best way to cut a 36 inch diameter wheel out of a sheet of plywood?

I've tried this before, and I used one of those pre-fabricated hardwood tabletops from a Big Box store. It worked ok in the end, though it was an expensive solution. The thing that tripped me up the most was the difficulty I had in finding the exact center so I knew where to bore the hole for the shaft.

This time I want to cut the wheel myself, so I know EXACTLY where the center is. I'm thinking that 3/4" or 1" plywood should do the trick.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going in Circles

Make a sort of compass that guides a router instead of pencil.

Screw a strip of wood a few inches wide by ~2 feet long to the base of your router, with the router at one end of the board. Drill your shaft hole in the plywood, and drill the same size hole in the board attached to the router, with the hole centered 18" from the inside of the bit. Using a dowel that matches your shaft size as a center pivot, you can now swing the router in a neat circle around the center bore.

Of course this is only economical if you already have (or plan to buy) a router. If you don't, you can use some basic geometric construction techniques to find the center of an existing circle

o

A jig on a bandsaw is the best way to go.
Casey

o

It would be helpful to know which tools you have already. Either of the above would work, and there are a few more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here