Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing mess

Posted by jfrosenberg (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 07 at 2:16

I don't know what I was thinking, but I totally made a mess of refinishing an old dresser that was painted with latex, crackle medium, another layer of latex and several layers of polyurthane. I used Klean-Strip K3 Premium Stripper (15 minute) but I didn't note it said to work on small areas and I slathered the whole thing with stripper. I waited the recommended time but I think the garage was under 65 degrees. When I started to take it off with a plastic scraper, most didn't come off and just smeared and glopped up. I now have a lumpy, pasty mess. I'm more than willing to tackle it again, but how??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing mess

Trying to remove multiple layers of paint can be difficult. It takes more time for the chemical remover to diffuse down through multiple layers. I generally use a heat gun on our window sills and interior doors, which are 60 years old, and have been painted too many times. But heated paint generates fumes, so this method should be used outdoors, or in the garage, with the door open. Have you tried a second application of K3, on a one square foot area?

o

I agree with ericwi's response. To add some points:
Since strippers are chemical reactions, it will take roughly twice as long to strip at 58 degrees as it does as 76 degrees.

Try a smaller area and cover with a sheet of plastic while it works. This will keep it from evaporating away. Let it sit and let the chemicals do their job. Don't rush it.

With that many layers, you may have to apply the stripper several times to get through it all.

o

Look for a product called 5F5 . It's a jell like stripper. You'll need to work small areas at a time .Put it on, the paint will bubble after a few minutes, keep applying and keep the area wet with the stripper.
Remove layers with a spackle knife and keep repeating until it's all removed.
Once down to the wood , you might need to use a brass brissled brush and /or steel wool and paint thinner to clean the paint out of the grain of the wood.
best of luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here