Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone use Kitchen Tune-up?

Posted by blue67 (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 08 at 0:06

I would like to get people's opinions that have done or were thinking about doing cabinet reconditioning.
I just met with Kitchen Tune-up who also offers cabinet reconditioning in addition to refacing. For those (like myself!) who aren't familiar with reconditioning, the process includes cleaning the cabinets, some light sanding, filling in holes, putting on 1 coat of lacquer and 2 coats of satin or semi-gloss varnish.

So far this sounds like a very economical option for me. I was thinking of getting my cabinets professionally painted before. I'd love to hear if people who used Kitchen Tune-up or did the cabinet reconditioning were satisfied with the results. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone use Kitchen Tune-up?

I think you may have some bad information about the process they use. The idea of applying both lacquer and varnish struck me as improbable, so I checked their website:

"A Tune-Up is our proprietary wood reconditioning process. We start by separating, then removing, the build-up (dirt, grease, wax, smoke and dust) from the woods original finish. Then, we touch up and blend the areas where color may have faded and apply a special colorant. Finally, we can treat your cabinets with a special penetrating oil that restores dried-out wood fibers or apply an entirely fresh coat of finish."

So their typical "topcoat" is either a penetrating oil or a fresh coat of some other unspecified finish. My guess is that this sort of process could certainly spruce-up the look of worn cabinetry, but the effect is probably short-lived. I'd consider doing something like this to improve the look of an older kitchen when selling a house, but I wouldn't think of it as an equivalent to new cabinetry or true refinishing.

o
RE: Anyone use Kitchen Tune-up?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm a little concerned that you think one coat of finish may wear off relatively quickly. I would rather go with painting if the reconditioning would only last 1 year or so.

I'm going to contact them again to get more details on the actual process because I definitely wrote down 1 coat of laquer and 2 of varnish!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here