Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color of wood (flooring)

Posted by jamies (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 22:34

We're moving into a place with circa 1938 wood floors that have always been covered with carpet. I am told that no finish was ever applied to the floor. There certainly is no evidence of finish now.

We are hiring floor refinishers, but they will probably be the rough type rather than the artisan type.

They say the floors will be red-orange unless I go very dark with the stain. (I've heard some guys say the floor is fir, or Douglas Fir, and others say Red Oak.)

I've tested a clear finish and a minwax medium brown finish, and verified that, yes, they do go orangy -- much more orangey than the sample of red oak that minwax uses in its' display. (no, I don't intend to minwax the whole floor. I just wanted to do a test)

Can you recommend a treatment that would make them brown and eliminate the orange tones without going dark?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color of wood (flooring)

If the wood has a hard grainy rough texture it is oak, your's sounds like it is fir.

o
RE: Color of wood (flooring)

Any clear finish will enhance the natural color of the wood, only a stain will color it. I would be careful of hiring anyone who cannot identify if a floor is red oak or fir as they are to distinctly different types of wood and will look completely different. Red Oak is a hardwood and Fir is technically a softwood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here